GTech are renowned for their latest cordless electric lawn mower
Their original mower was a big hit with thousands of customers across the UK. Does their new and upgraded cordless mower beat its predecessor?
Let’s find out…
What I’ll Cover…
- Original mower Vs this 2.0 model
- Highlights and features
- New features in detail
- Advantages and disadvantages
- What people are saying
- The Downsides
- Who it’s most suitable for
- Find the best price online
Before we get dive into the review, here’s an exclusive discount code
OK, let’s get started…
Cordless electric home and garden power tools are going from strength to strength at the moment and it’s easy to see why. They’re quiet, portable, low maintenance and easy to use.
And with this latest (2.0) model, the performance has been upgraded too.
Long gone are the days where everyone had a petrol powered mower. Modern homeowners want something that’s good for the environment and cost-effective.
Original GTech Mower Vs New 2.0 Model
There have been some significant changes to the new GTech lawn mower, which include:
- More Power – The original mower had a 36V battery, whereas this model has a 48V one.
- Quicker Charging – The new model charges in a very rapid 1 hour vs 5 hours on the old model. That’s a huge improvement and would mean you could easily cut two large areas in the same gardening session so no need for a 2nd battery
- New Blade – A sharper, more robust and efficient blade means less bogging down in thick grass and less power used, which is one reason why the run time is the same but it has more power.
- Adjustable Power Delivery – Another interesting addition is the use of adjustable power, which is automatic. The mower detects when to use more and less power based on the grass and resistance on the blade.
- Lighter – This new model weighs in at just 13.5kg vs the original 17kg. That’s a 20% reduction in weight, which is a big difference and particular useful for elderly people or those who find larger mowers hard to handle.
- Larger Grass Box – A 50 litre grass collection box comes as standard whereas the previous model had only a 40 litre one. A 25% increase in size means you’ll be emptying it fewer times per cut.
- Smaller Cutting Width – But only by 1cm. The new cutting width is 42cm (420mm). The original mower was 43cm (430mm). Not a big change to be honest, so it shouldn’t have much impact.
- More Compact – To save more space, the handle now folds differently, meaning a shorter length and more easy to store away in the shed or under the stairs.
- Safety Switch – The old model had an activation key which had to be inserted to use it. The key was too easy to lose and fiddly. This new 2.0 model has a switch to make life a lot easier.
Those are the key differences between the GTech cordless mower and the GTech cordless 2.0 lawnmower.
Here are the highlights…
- Robust blade, upgraded parts
- Easier to use activation switch
- More compact storage
- A much shorter charging time of just 1 hour
- A reputable British brand with a 2 year warranty
- UK based customer service and a money back guarantee
- 40 mins run time from a 1 hour charge
- Lightweight and more efficient motor
With just a quick 1 hour charge, you get up to 40 minutes of use with this mower. That’s pretty decent and enough time for most people to cut their lawn for a medium sized garden.
If it’s not, you can pop it back on charge and start again after a cup of tea and slice of cake!
New Carbon Steel Blade & Cutting Efficiency
Cordless electric mowers had a reputation for getting bogged down in thicker grass due to a lack of power.
GTech have used two approaches to try and resolve those issues:
- Fit a new, carbon steel blade that’s designed to be more efficient and effective.
- Make the mower more intelligent so it delivers more power when needed and less when it doesn’t.
The result? A more effective mower that cuts well and adjusts according to the lawn you’re cutting. Is it as powerful as petrol? No…
We’re not quite there yet with the technology to get that much power and have it last but we’re not far away.
Lightweight & Compact
The GTech mower is aimed at people with small to medium sized gardens. They’re not professional gardeners.
Those people want a good quality cut, but also want an easy to use and store mower. That’s why they’ve changed the folding mechanism so it’s extra compact
They’ve also modified some parts to make it lighter. The result? a saving of 3.5kg, which feels like a lot when you use it.
This makes it perfect for elderly or weaker people and even suitable for teenagers to use so they have no excuse now!
Advantages and Disadvantages
Let’s take a look in a little more detail at the advantages and disadvantages of this mower.
- Fast charging (1 hour)
- Very lightweight and compact
- Easy to set-up, use and move around
- Only 40 min run time
What are People Saying…?
Seeing as this is a brand new product, there are not a huge number of reviews available for the product yet.
But from what we’ve heard so far, things are looking good for this new, upgraded mower. People love how lightweight it is which makes it easy to move around.
It’s super easy to set-up and folds down into a very compact size for easy storage in a shed or even under their stairs.
What’s the Downside?
Good question…For the most part, all of the changes are positive. GTech have just upgraded an existing product that was very good to start with.
The only question in my mind is about the max RPM of the blade. The old model had a maximum of 3,700RPM whereas the new model is 2,800RPM.
That means that blade spins slower at max speed. However, the new blade is redesigned and apparently more efficient and effective. Therefore it probably doesn’t need to spin as fast. It also saves on power.
Is it Suitable for You..?
If you have a small to medium sized garden which is not too overgrown, this could well be a perfect solution for you.
Those who want a lightweight, easy to store mower with very little maintenance will be more than satisfied with the cut and performance.
It’s NOT suitable for those with very uneven, debris filled areas of grass which are rough, long and thick.
I’ll be honest, the GTech mower is not the cheapest option out there, even when using the GTech discount code above. So what other options do you have to choose from?
On the much cheaper end is the Flymo Hover Vac 250. This is a lightweight hover mower, which costs less than £100. You can’t really compare the two, but it’s an option if budget is of concern.
Find the Best Price Online
As of the time of writing, you can only purchase this GTech 2.0 lawn mower from GTech.
Often they make their products available at other stores, like Argos and on Amazon but this has not happened yet because it’s so new.
I’d recommend purchasing direct from GTech for a couple of reasons:
- You don’t have to register the product to get the 2 year warranty
- They offer easy returns and exchanges should you have any issues
Click here to view the latest price and latest details about this GTech 2.0 Lawnmower.
The GTech Garden Tools Range
GTech are renowned for their cordless electric garden power tools. Here are Garden Power Tools we have reviewed all of their products, including the following:
Be sure to check out those reviews too, if you like the sound of cordless electric for your gardening needs.