This manual, hand pushed lawn mower from Fiskars is definitely a lot more expensive when compared to the other mowers we have reviewed in the group, but we like to give you a sample from the low, medium and high price range products because we know that not everyone has the same budget in mind.
– Heavy and well built, it feels solid
– Investment in design for improved cutting
– Smooth to push and doesn’t get jammed easily
– Delivers an efficient, sharp cut of grass
– Sturdy build, feels stable when using
– Automatically maintains sharp cutting blades
– Handles well, even on uneven ground
– Multiple adjustable cut height settings
When looking at this Fiskars designed Momentum reel mower, you could be forgiven in thinking that it is a concept design that has not been built yet. The way it looks is very different to a conventional model, from the layout of the cutting blades to the handles. The idea is that it benefits from better ergonomic design ideas and will produce a far superior cut of your lawn when compared to other manual mowers. At this price, we hope it’s true….Let’s have a look at it in more detail, staring with some features:
- 40cm cutting width
- Weighs in at a robust 23.5kg
- Large cutting range, from 25mm to 100mm
- Height adjustable handles
- Forward throwing grass collection chute
What Users Say
After successfully setting up the mower by assembling the pieces and then adjusting the cutting mechanism, which is reported to take 15-30 minutes, users found that the Fiskars machine worked very well. It was easy to push, gave an impressive cut and delivered a great finish to the lawn.
Some found that it was rather heavy, but that is by design and you can see that it’s 24kg which is heavy for any mower, let alone a manual one. Others, however, found that this weight gave a reassuring sense of a solid machine which was less likely to get thrown around by bumps and would breeze through longer grass.
It was noted that on sloping lawns the machine became a little hard to push uphill for some, so that is something to bear in mind when selecting a manually powered mower for your grass cutting duties.
Users who mowed in long grass or when wet found that the wheels can push down the grass and cause it not to be cut, meaning more walks up and down the lawn to get the job done. And in the wet if the ground is very soft the heavy weight of the mower can leave wheel marks, but not many people will be cutting in the wet.
- No petrol, no electric and free to use anytime because it is almost silent
- Solidly built with lots of metal so has a reliable, heavy duty feel to it
- Blades are very sharp and produce a great cut
- Ergonomic design and build quality ensure a smooth push
- Integrated self sharpening system to minimise the need for sharpening
- No grass collection box unless purchased separately
- Assembly can be a little challenging for some
- Wheels can leave tracks on wet or sodden ground
What We Say
On first inspection the Friskars 113880 Momentum looks and sounds like something from the future, but built with material from the past! It’s heavy, that’s for sure. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing in our opinion, for two reasons:
- It gives a reassuring sense of a solidly build product using materials that will last
- The pushing action does not feel heavy as a result and will actually help it in longer grass or if debris gets inside and needs to be cut by the blades
The system that the designers have implemented for the cutting mechanism of this mower is really great and after configuring it appropriately the finished cut on the grass is clean and sharp. There is little noise while using the mower, which makes the task of cutting the grass much more relaxing.
The lack of a grass box being included with the cost of this product means that you will have to shell out an extra £30 for that which takes the total cost very high for a manual lawn mower. However, with the build quality being as it is you would expect the machine to last many years to come so overall it might work out the same cost as buying a cheaper mower twice.
Because most parts of the lawnmower are made from metal you can rest assured that it should stand the test of time while being immune from a few bumps and scratches along the way.
The reason we included a slightly heavier mower in this category is because we believe that some people want one which can deal with slightly longer grass. This product is more suited to that task than the other mowers in the manual category for two main reasons:
It is heavier and will more easily go through rougher ground as a result without jamming or sliding
The height adjustment settings allow you to set the cut height up to as high as 10cm which most of the other mowers don’t allow
Is it Right for you?
If you don’t see this mower as too expensive then it’s worth considering as a possibility. It’s heavy, so you’ll not want to be someone who doubts they will be able to lift it around or manoeuvre it properly. The build quality is great so it will certainly last a long time. Also, you don’t have to cut the grass so often because it can deal with longer grass, more bumpy areas and small debris such as twigs and leaves.
Where to Buy
Amazon are a safe and secure online retailer who always deliver fast and you know what you are getting which is reassuring to know when making any online purchase.
Fiskars 113880 Momentum Reel Push Mower
A sturdy, well built push mower brimming with new features which help produce a lasting mower which delivers a first class cut.
Advantages: Ergonomic design, sharpening system, precision cut
Disadvantages: No grass box included
Approx. price range: £160 – £180