I’ll start with the bad news first…
The Gtech HT04 Hedge Trimmer is no more!
GTech have stopped selling the HT04 model. It was getting a little old and needed an update.
Now for the good news…
The HT04 hedge trimmer has been improved and upgraded.
Here’s what you need to know about the two choices:
- Want a more powerful trimmer for cutting thicker bushes and stems (up to 15mm)
- Want the potential to cut 40mm branches with the optional branch cutter head (sold separately, easy to clip on)
- Don’t have very high hedgerows or are happy to use a ladder to trim them.
- Are elderly or weaker and want the lightest hedge trimmer possible (only 1.7kg)
- Want a long reach tool so you don’t have to get up any ladders
- Don’t need to cut thick (larger than 12mm) stems
You can choose between the HT20 and HT05 Plus depending on your needs. Both are new, improved and high quality hedge trimmers. I’ve reviewed them in full so check out the HT20 review and the HT05 Plus review now.
The bottom line…
HT20: More powerful, robust, cuts larger branches, optional branch cutter head, shorter reach. Read full review…
HT05: Lighter, ideal for elderly users, for high hedges, for smaller stems and branches. Read full review…
Check out GTech’s site for excellent information on both hedge trimmers. They offer…
FREE UK delivery |30 day refund/exchange | 2 year warranty
That’s a no risk purchase if I ever heard one
*** The review below is of the GTech HT04 which is no longer on sale ***
The other hedge trimmers in this category are all corded electric products because it’s very difficult to find a cordless one which lasts. However, from our research it appears that this gtech cordless hedge trimmer (ht04 model) is a little better in that department, so let’s have a look at it in more detail in this review.
- Lightweight for a long reach trimmer
- Rechargeable 18v battery
Easy to Use
- Cut up to 1.2 away
- Easy to use for long periods
- Reputable British company
- 1st class customer service
- Battery delivers potent power
- Shape, precision cut blades
G-Tech have released this product in order to cater for those who want a multi-tool which is electric but also cordless. With this product you have both a hedge trimmer and a branch cutter. When you add this functionality to the long reach of this multi tool, you have a formidable multi-cutter machine for dealing with different hedges, bushes and trees both small and large. Here are some of the features it has:
- 18V battery
- Lasts up to 45 minutes without requiring recharging
- 2.5kg in weight
- 33.5cm cutting blade, which will cut branches up to 15mm
- Saw blade which cuts up to 40mm in diameter branches, which is 10mm across
What Users Say
We’ve read and reviewed a lot of GTech garden tools reviews and the vast majority of users find that this multi tool, with interchangeable heads for both sawing and trimming, find it makes life a lot easier because of it’s lightweight body and long reach. Added to that is the freedom you get from not having to plug into a power socket.
Some users have said that it is awkward to use and perhaps a little heavy. However, at 2.5kg it cannot be considered heavy because this is very light for a hedge trimming tool. The awkwardness may occur because of a safety mechanism that has been included in the design which requires both hands to be present on the mower in order for it to be powered on.
- Suitable for large hedges and thick branches
- Cuts through hedges with ease
- Deals with larger branches no problem
- Sharp, long blade which makes a short job of any hedge
- Large tooth opening
- Can become heavy for some users after extended use
What We Say
Having used mainly corded electric and petrol powered tools, this product which is cordless has both good sides and bad sides to it. The good is that you don’t have to worry about plugging into a power point, having wires trailing around all over the place and noisier petrol engines. On the negative is that you only have a certain amount of time to use it in one go and you need to make sure that you have charged it before you use it, which is sometimes easier said than done if you forget about it…
This trimmer is great for two things:
- Getting at those higher, more awkward to reach places and hedgerows without the need for a step ladder
- Trimming larger branches that are up a little higher by attaching the different head
I would recommend this product for those people who don’t want to use ladders but still need to get up a little higher than is possible with just a normal trimmer. For large jobs this isn’t going to last long enough so it’s really for smaller hedges and branch cutting where you need a longer reach and the ability to move around freely without the need for cables and a noisy, expensive petrol machine.
Is it Right for you?
When deciding whether or not to buy this HT04 2 in 1 hedge trimmer, you need to think about its intended use. If you want a tool that you will use to cut the majority of your hedges and that job will take more than around 35-45 minutes we would recommend you take a look at some of the other trimmer in this category. However, if you want a trimmer which can also cut branches and reach a little higher and into awkward places, this is the tool for you. For quick jobs it’s ideal.
Where to Buy
Amazon deliver fast and are the most trusted place to buy on the internet. When we checked last, they had the best price for this gtech cordless trimmer. Here is the direct link:
G-Tech (HT04) Cordless Hedge Trimmer
A lightweight, easy to use product that enables you to reach further than with most trimmers and trim both hedges and small branches.
Advantages: Long reach, two heads for branch and hedge cutter, cordless
Disadvantages: Only lasts a max. of 45 mins, requires charging
Approx. price range: £140 – £160