Water pumps are used in a variety of scenarios, from the home to agriculture
Here, we give into the details of how to maintain a portable water pump so it lasts for years to come
Let’s start of by looking at what applications these pumps can have…
1. Application of Portable Water Pump
Water pumps are simple machines used for moving water. They are highly used in parts of agriculture for moving water from one place to the other. These machines are used in a number of forms such as sprinklers, drips or usually with a hose.
There are a variety of small water pumps that are used for multiple jobs. You can choose from a number of water pumps to suit your needs. There are two main types of pumps, which are:
- Centrifugal pumps
- Positive displacement pumps
These electric water pumps are available in different types which are submersible, trash and other models. These pumps are great to work with thin fluids. They are also known to give high flow rate. The most common use of application of water transfer pumps is boosted application, building wells, sump pits, circulation of hot water and protection of fire systems. They are used in construction fields, irrigation and for removing extra water.
These petrol-powered water pumps are widely used in industrial, household and agricultural tasks but smaller systems are used for watering the garden with sprinkler systems.
2. How to maintain Portable Water Pumps?
– Check Maintenance Frequency: Check the manufacturer’s guidelines. Schedule a timing to get the maintenance done. Check if the pumps or lines have to be disabled. Choose a time when the system is not in use and decide the time and frequency.
– Observation: Know your system well. Visually check to make sure your pump is working well. Learn to observe it while it’s running. Keep an eye on the pump for any leaks, vibrations or sounds.
– Safety: Make sure that the system is turned off before you start working on it. Isolation is required for electric transfer pumps. If working on a sump pump, it must be shut down before a system check.
“A sump pump is a pump used to remove water that has accumulated in a water-collecting sump basin, commonly found in the basements of homes.” – WikiPedia
– Mechanical Inspection: Make sure that the mounting points are secure. Check the packing and mechanical seal of the pump. Look at the pump flanges to see if there are any leaks which are obvious. Finally, check couplings and clean the filters as per the manufacturers specifications.
– Lubricate: Lubricate the pump and motor as per the guidelines. Do not over lubricate as this may lead to malfunction or a reduction in lifespan of the unit.
– Electrical and Motor Inspection: Check if the terminations are tight. Check if the starter is overheated. Also, check for insulation failure using a suitable device and a qualified electrical engineer. You can check for the most common items to check, too.
– Replace the hose and damaged seals: If any hose has any damage whatsoever, replace them immediately.
3. How to choose the right Portable Water Pump?
There are a wide variety of petrol-powered water pumps hence it can be difficult for you to choose the right one for you. You can choose the best portable water pump that suits your application. Here we list some of the important factors that will help in choosing the right pump for your requirements:
– Water Movement Performance: Choose a pump that has a good performance in terms of water flow. Check the flow rate which is measured in litres. If the water pump has a high flow rate, it means more water can be moved in less time. Max head is the vertical distance that a pump can move the water. Water pressure is related to max head.
– Quality: It is always best to go for a trusted brand of. Reputable brands always choose good quality components. The engine quality of a water pump is very important, so that it stands the test of time.
– Warranty: The best way to protect your machine is to buy a product that comes with a warranty. While some brands offer a 3-year warranty, others have a 2-year warranty. Also, keep a check on what parts are included within the warranty.
4. Portable Water Pumps: Self Priming Tips
Self priming is usually used as an industry term. It defines the ability of a water pump (often used for tankless water heaters) to create a vacuum. This is done by eliminating air by intake of the pump casing and the hose. There are a number of pumps that are self-priming. You can look online for such machines. Here are some priming tips that you could try with your own pump:
- Keep the water pump as close to the source of water as possible. The lesser lift will show an improvement in priming time.
- Fill the portable water pump case with water. You can start the gravity water pump with the engine. The priming time can be improved by restricting the discharge hose.
- Shut off the pump that will allow the water to flow from the suction hose.
- The foot valve at the end of the hose will curb the water from flowing out. This again reduces the time required for priming.
- Flush the case of the pump with fresh water. Then drain it out completely to prevent damage from freezing.
- Cover the discharge points and intake to prevent the entry of unwanted particles while storage.
5. Best Portable Water Pump: Authors Choice
SHURFLO 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution Water Pump
This water pump is one of the most popular tiny water pumps that you can come across. It has some amazing features with great performance. It is quite versatile in its application. This is the perfect choice if you wish to go for quality, durability, functionality and affordability.
The product has a single piece diaphragm. This portable water pump is rated at 7.5 Amps. It should be attached to a 12 VDC power source. In addition, it can deliver a pressure of 55 PSI. It has a reduced sound that uses Flow Reaction Technology.
This product also has a 2-year warranty along with supreme performance. The best part about this portable water pump is that you can run it dry. It delivers a flow rate close to 3.0 GPM. Additionally, it has an adjustable switch. It has a lower sound as compared to other leading models. The design is quite compact and can be stored away easily. The water pump also has an internal by-pass.