Your outdoor space should be treated equally as important as your indoor space because it is considered an extension of your lovely home.
It’s fun and exciting to prepare your patio just in time for summer so you can enjoy outdoor bonding with your family and friends.
You can bring your patio back to life this summer with practical, easy and simple makeover tips. You can even plan and do the job with your spouse and children, so everyone takes part in your patio makeover journey this year!
Let’s get started…
1. Clean Your Deck
Restoring a deck should be your priority before hanging or installing any decoration. A clean and sturdy deck will increase its longevity, allowing you to enjoy years of barbecue picnics, outdoor parties and summer yoga sessions. Here are some makeover tips when working with your deck:
- Remove hardened debris and dirt using a garden hose or a pressure washer.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or cleaning agent that can ruin the natural color or paint of your deck (such as bleach, acetone and chlorine). Everyone in the family can clean together to work on hard-to-reach areas of your deck.
- You can also hire a professional to do the general cleaning of your deck if you’re too busy or cannot manage to use a pressure washer.
- Create a multipurpose layout (such as custom kitchen area, built-in bench and a small dining table) to maximize the space.
- If you have a small deck, you can install a retractable canopy to your existing pergola to provide protection from the heat of the summer sun.
2. Bring Colour to Your Patio
Aside from keeping it clean, you may consider changing the colour of your patio to give it a new and fresh look. Say goodbye to dull and boring colours. Vibrant colours, such as bright red, orange, green and yellow, will give a pleasant ambiance to your outdoor space!
Try these tips to bring back the life in your patio:
- Paint your hardwood deck with a combination of blue and white or coral red and bone ivory white to match your pool area. Gone are the days when you need to stick with traditional neutral colors such as brown, black or caramel for a deck.
- Incorporate vibrant rugs, candles and outdoor pillows if you choose to retain the traditional color of your deck. The top hues for patio decors and accessories include soft blues, coral pink, lilac, purple and neutrals with jewel tones.
- Your kids can display their art crafts, too, such as seashell décor and chimes.
- Choose patio elements with bright and bold accents (e.g., contemporary design coffee tables and chairs like sun loungers).
3. Make Your Patio Comfortable
Your patio should be welcoming to encourage conversation. It’s a place where you can relax alone (such as reading a book, doing yoga, and listening to music) or with family and friends. Here are some ways to make your patio comfortable:
- Invest in comfortable furniture pieces (such as upholstered chairs, wide-seat chair, relaxing chair, and footrests).
- Group pieces together to create a seamless look and highlight the beautiful view of your landscape, perfect for relaxation.
- Display DIY art craft, such as a paper mache coffee holder or glass holder, made by your children on your patio table, which can also impress your guests.
- Coordinate the style of your indoor and outdoor rooms to welcome your guests without setting any borders between the two spaces.
4. Light Up Your Patio
Lighting up your patio will allow you to spend the nights outdoors with your spouse for a dinner date. Of course, you can also spend time outdoors with the whole family at night time for a stargazing and storytelling session during summer. Check these lighting tips for your patio:
- Add depth to your patio by using votives or cafe lights.
- Use string lights to provide a cozy setting after sunset.
- Hang a wall lantern to your patio door for a lighting focal point.
- Add soft illumination in your garden by using LED path lights.
- And try to match the style of your outdoor lights to the indoor lights.
5. Create a Vertical Garden
Gardening is a fun outdoor activity, and you can incorporate garden designs on your patio through a vertical garden. If you have a small patio space, a vertical garden is a good idea. Its aesthetic appeal improves your home’s curb appeal too. Here are some tips when creating a vertical garden:
- Create a sturdy support structure using metal, hardwood or a combination of both.
- Use wall hangers or any hanging mechanism as well as shelving to display your individually potted herbs.
- Plant succulents and easy-to-grow perennial vines, such as American bittersweet, ivy and clematis hybrids. These plants grow best during summer or in full sun.
You can also check out this post on quirky garden ideas.
Don’t hesitate to play with shapes and colors when designing your patio. Make your outdoor living space more beautiful and comfortable. Incorporate water, fire and other earth elements as you desire.
Cleaning your deck and investing in high-quality furniture are major aspects of a patio makeover. Summer is fun and exciting. Enjoy this season more by giving your patio a good makeover!